Thursday, December 10, 2009

Nothing is more important to Harry Reid than healthcare, except fundraising

Healthcare is so important for Democrats they won't even take the weekend off in the Senate.
The next weekends, plural, we will be working. I have events, uh, this weekend that I'll have to postpone, some I'll have to cancel. That's the way it's going to have to be with everyone. There is not an issue more important than finishing this legislation. - Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (Dem-Neveda), November 30, 2009 on working the weekends in the Senate
Well, unless there is a fundraiser, of course!
But Reid, who wants to get a healthcare bill finished by Christmas, urged Republicans on the Senate floor to forego a debate on several conference reports this weekend in order to give Senators and staffers the weekend off.

"I understand the Republican leader doesn't want us to do health care. I appreciate that. He and I have different positions on that," said Reid. "I see no reason to punish everybody this weekend and I hope the minority will give strong consideration to the proposal that i've made."

It turns out Reid has a 1,000 plus per plate fundraiser scheduled for Saturday in New Orleans, according to one local paper, which also reports that Sen. Mary Landrieu, D-LA, a key swing moderate in the health care debate, will also be in attendance.

No comments: