Friday, March 26, 2010

Barbour: "I swore an oath" to support the Constitution

Governor Haley Barbour sent a letter to Attorney General Jim Hood reaffirming his commitment to challenging Obamacare in court as unconstitutional.
As a statewide elected official, I swore an oath that I would "faithfully support the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of Mississippi"...This oath and my own believe that a violation of the Constitution should never go unchecked obligate me to ensure Mississippi challenges the healthcare reform law.

As the Attorneys General of fourteen states have already determined, the healthcare reform law violates the U.S. Constiution...a number of constitutional problems which have already been identified by attorneys and academics across the nation...I intend for Mississippi to join this litigation not later than the date on which the First Amended Complaint is filed by the Attorneys General who States are plaintiffs to the Florida suit. If, by that time, you have determined you wish to represent the state, I would appreciate you and your office's doing so. If you decide otherwise, I will retain outside counsel and provide your office with a copy of the contract for your ratification.
Jim Hood has a lot of baggage going into his 2011 reelection bid. If he refuses to challenge, or refuses to allow Mississippi's Governor to challenge Obamacare in the courts, that would be near the top of the list for any opponent to make an issue.

No comments: